Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe written by the Spencer Brothers on 8/27/2021. This post contains affiliate links, you can find out more in the disclaimer at the bottom of the blog.
Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked penne or medium tube pasta
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small yellow summer squash sliced
- 1 small zucchini sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic in butter until tender.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, seasonings and cream until smooth; add to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta and add to vegetable mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through
Easy Replacements for the Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe
- Switch Out Vegetables to compliment you and your family’s tastes. You can switch out the vegetables to pick what is in season. You can add some peppers for a pop (red bell pepper for a small kick or something like Habanero to really push it).
- Use Rotini Pasta instead of Penne: This will maximize the sauce to noodle ratio and allow for even more flavor in every single bite!
- Sour Cream for Heavy Cream: You will lose a little bit of creaminess, but you will save quite a bit in calories while also adding a unique twist of flavor
- Italian Seasoning for Various Seasonings: If you are diving into your pantry and find that you don’t have the listed spices, you can easily replace most of those seasonings with Italian seasoning (which is usually made up of oregano, basil, thyme, sage, marjoram, and rosemary).
- As a bonus, freshly shaved parmesan would elevate this dish to another level of deliciousness
Mise En Place for Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe
Mise En Place is a French phrase for ‘Everything in it’s place’. This will give you some quick tips on easy things you can prep before starting the cooking process of your meal.
–Pre-chop all your veggies: In this recipe, you can prep your onion, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and garlic beforehand and have them ready to add to your recipe quickly when the time comes.
–Get Out All of your Pantry Items: Spend time in your pantry to make sure you have all the seasonings and other ingredients ready to go. If the spices are supposed to be added all at once, you can pre-measure and put them all in the same bowl. Other pantry items that can be prepared for this recipe include: Pasta and flour. And even though they may need to be left in the fridge, you can also prep your butter and whipped cream.
Thank you for reading our Vegetarian Penne Pasta Recipe. Check out the other recipes and posts below: