Uncle Roger Thai Green Curry Recipe written by the Spencer Brothers on 2/13/2021. This post contains affiliate links, you can find out more in the disclaimer at the bottom of the blog.
Background on Uncle Roger Thai Green Curry Recipe
Uncle Roger (Nigel Ng) is a beloved Youtuber who reviews other people’s cooking videos. He is most famous for reviewing/roasting Egg Fried Rice videos (most infamously demolishing Jamie Oliver’s recipe). He recently passed five million subscribers on Youtube and he made a deal that once he passed five million subscribers, he would post his own Uncle Roger Thai Green Curry Recipe! He is joined by Thames Puntar, who is the owner of a restaurant in England named Esarn Kheaw. Check out the recipe and instructions below and enjoy!
Ingredients for Uncle Roger Thai Green Curry Recipe
-White Peppercorn, 1 tablespoon
-Coriander seed, 1 tablespoon
-Cumin seed, 1 tablespoon
-2 long chilies
-6 birds eye chilies
-Garlic, One Clove
-Kaffir Lime Leaf, 3 leaves
-Lemongrass, 1/2 stem
-2 Coriander Root
-Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
-Shrimp Paste, 2 tablespoons
-Oil, 1/3 cup
-Cocunut Milk, 3 tablespoons
-2 Chicken thighs
-Fish Sauce, 1 tablespoon
-3 Thai Eggplant, pre-soaked in water
-6 Thai Basil leaves
-Green Chilies, to taste
-Bamboo shoots, 1/4 cup
-Chicken Stock (1/4-1/2 cup as needed)
-Palm sugar, to taste
-MSG, to taste (He used about a gallon)
-White Rice, Prepared
Instructions for Uncle Roger Thai Green Curry Recipe
- In a skillet, toast your white peppercorn, coriander seed, and cumin seed until fragrant
- Add toasted spices into mortar and pound with pestle. Place spices in bowl and set aside
- Cut and prepare your chilies, galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and coriander root
- Add cut produce into mortar and pound with pestle. Before you finish, add back your ground toasted spices, grind a bit more, than add salt and shrimp paste. Continue to pound.
- Add oil to pan/wok, then add coconut milk. (If using fresh coconut milk, added oil is not needed)
- To the hot oil/milk, add green curry paste, chicken thighs, fish sauce, thai Eggplant, Thai basil. chilies, bamboo shoots, second half of kaffir lim leaf. At this point, if the mixture becomes too dry, add chicken stock as needed.
- Taste curry. Add palm sugar and MSG to taste
- Serve with white rice
Uncle Roger Thai Green Curry Recipe Video
A Note on this Uncle Roger Thai Green Curry Recipe
In the video, Uncle Roger does not actually discuss the amount of each ingredient he is using. The amounts listed above is an estimation based on the visual given. But as Uncle Roger always says, don’t measure, just use feeling!
There are also two items that are expected to be prepared prior to cooking. The white rice is pre-cooked and served immediately at the end. Also, the Thai Eggplant is pre-soaked in water in order to soften it up prior to cooking. Everything else can be prepared as is. A lot of this can even be done well beforehand.
Thanks for reading our Uncle Roger Thai Green Curry Recipe. Check out some other recipes below!